The purpose of this policy is to provide guidelines for professional and ethical interaction with customers when making contact during the repossession process, while complying with FDCPA regulations and lien holder policies.
This policy applies to all employees who communicate with customers including recovery agents, client services staff, and anyone interacting with customers.
- Customer contact should be minimized unless necessary for the repossession.
- Employees must be courteous, respectful, and professional at all times.
- Clear communication following company and lien holder guidelines is essential.
- All rules under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act must be followed.
- Any threats or harassment by customers should be reported immediately.
- Documentation should be completed for each customer interaction.
- Lien holder policies prohibiting contact override this policy.
- Verify customer identity before discussing account details.
- Avoid sharing details protected by privacy laws.
- Remain calm and understanding, even with difficult customers.
- Provide next steps and contact information as appropriate.
- Cease contact immediately if prohibited by lien holder.
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) Compliance
- Contact only between 8 am - 9 pm unless otherwise permitted.
- Cease all contact if requested by customer.
- Do not contact third parties about the debt.
- Do not harass, oppress, or abuse customers.
- Do not threaten use of violence or illegal action.
- Do not make false statements about the debt.
- Send FDCPA validation notice within 5 days if required.
- Document all threatening, offensive, or unlawful statements by customers.
- Report unsafe situations, violations, or lien holder issues immediately.
- Provide detailed accounts of events including witnesses.
- Escalate concerns about FDCPA violations to Compliance/Legal.
- Customer service and communication skills training.
- Regular FDCPA compliance training.
- Ethics and professionalism training.
- De-escalation techniques.
- Share examples of positive interactions.
- Repossessions must be peaceful, no force allowed.
- Agents must immediately leave if denied access or told to leave.
- Vehicles can only be taken with owner's voluntary consent after initial objection.
- Never open closed gates, fences, garage doors etc.
- Never follow or chase if owner drives vehicle away before or after attachment.
- Safety is always the top priority.
- Contact law enforcement if any damage/injury occurs.
- Non-confrontational, ethical recovery conduct required.
By following this policy, we aim to maintain the highest standards of conduct and respect when engaging with customers. Our commitment is to pursue collections in a legal, transparent manner that avoids unnecessary hardship through professional service.